Friday, October 12, 2007

my first one

I used to be into this whole blogging thing, back in high school when all I had to talk about was what I had for lunch that day and how much homework I have. Now, however, I have quite different experiences and priorities. The purpose of this blog will be so that the staff/ average churchgoer/general public will be able get to get a glimpse of what exactly I do. I have learned that my world, the world of designing, printing, finishing, displaying, is very ambiguous to some. Few people know the process of how I do what I do, and through this blog, I will try to explain it.

Basically, it's my job to translate a vision (or sometimes abstract idea) into a visible, tangible piece. I try to take an idea and run with it; I try to make a piece go places that no one would have foreseen; I try to be truly innovative. While for some projects this process is much easier said than done, in the end, my only desire is that I have communicated the overall goal clearly and effectively, and that I have done my job with excellence.

Since we're in this thing, I guess I should probably start with my most current project, "A Cry From Hell." This event is heavily outreach-oriented; we want members to bring their unchurched friends. So, it was our goal to come up with an idea that was eye-catching, relevant to culture, and maybe a little shocking (especially for the average churchgoer). We want people to see the design, stop, turn, and ponder the message of the event. Thus, the final product that arose is definitely not your typical "church propaganda," in my opinion.

Don't be shocked when you see the large eight foot posters. Stop and look. Think about the underlying message. Think about your unsaved friends and family. Hell is real.

I hope this design resonates with you and strikes a chord in your soul.

2 comments:

Cody Bettis said...

"Thus, the final product that arose is definitely your typical "church propaganda," in my opinion."

I bet you meant "not" your typical..."

I totally agree though. Great design that accomplishes what you said and is especially relevant in the season we are approaching.

Now the only "trick" will be to get people to invite their friends. Hopefully the prayer card/invite card will be a tool - just hope we encourage the use of it enough.

Anything else we can do to encourage/support/enable people to invite their friends/co-workers?

Unknown said...

Nice... Hey, did you just "cut-n-paste" to get that picture in the body of your blog? Did you blog via email, or from the web. When I cut-n-paste the picture doesn't last, it goes away...